Putting Cebu in the retail world map, SM Seaside City Cebu opened yesterday giving Cebuanos the first look at the state of the art, environmentally sustainable urban center on the waterfront of the new South Road Properties (SRP) development in this city. Being a major tourism hub, SM Prime Holdings chose Cebu and invested five years of property development in the Philippines’ second largest city.
Located on a 93,570 square meter site, the 470,490 square meter mall is SM Prime Holdings’ 55th mall and the third in the Queen City of the South, after SM City Cebu and SM City Consolacion.
SM Seaside City Cebu is one of the first developments in the master plan of SM Prime Holdings for their 30- hectare space at the SRP, a prime property development project on reclaimed land located a few meters from Cebu’s central business district.
Designed by Arquitectonica, an international architecture, interior design, and planning firm from Miami, Florida, this grand first of its kind urban development at the SRP will be a landmark in the region, transforming the way people live, work and play in this community. When completed, the complex will include residential towers, hotels, a convention and exhibition center, a school, and hospital.
The development has been compared to that of the SM Mall of Asia, which has been envisioned to be the destination mall in the Asia Pacific region. Both are located beside the waterfront: SM Seaside City Cebu has a spectacular view of the Cebu Channel, just as the SM Mall of Asia has Manila Bay and its glorious sunset as a picturesque backdrop.
Similarly, the Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod was the first structure to open at SM Seaside, just as the Shrine of Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life paved the way for development of the SM Mall of Asia complex.
Just as the SM Mall of Asia has the Globe as its iconic landmark, SM Seaside City Cebu has the Cube, a steel 21- meter by 21 meter sculptural piece that is a symbol of strength and stability. It is a tribute to the resilience of the Cebuanos in particular and the Filipino people in general.
With its nautilus inspired design of expanding, concentric arcs from a central multi purpose space, the mall will have multiple anchors, including a two storey SM Store, as well as an SM Hypermarket and SM mainstays like SM Appliance Center, Watsons, Kultura Filipino and more. It will have over 400 food and retail shops, including international brands.
Eating out options include specialty restaurants, international and local food chains, as well as a Food Court. Cebuanos will enjoy the leisure and entertainment excitement of an IMAX Theater, a 16 lane Bowling and Amusement Center, and an Olympic size ice skating rink. It will also have four state of the art cinemas, two Director’s Clubs, and one live theater.
What makes SM Seaside City Cebu a must see?
- Its nautilus design concept inspired by the spiral shell with a pale pearly partition, which includes a series of expanding, concentric arcs.
- The Cube. Viewed from any angle, this sculptural piece consistently appears the same. This consistency reflects the philosophy same high level of quality service in all areas it operates. Interestingly, the words Cube, when re-arranged form the word Cebu.
- The Sky Park. This will be a welcome and much needed break from the hustle and bustle of city life, featuring diverse dining outlets situated amongst verdant trees and charming ponds. Nestled among verdant foliage and soothing water features, will highlight installations by renowned Cebuano designer Kenneth Cobonpue when completed.
- The Iconic Seaside Tower. The 25 storey tower has a roof deck, viewing deck, and restaurants, offering sensational panoramic views of the entire city of Cebu.
- Global Brands and the Best of Cebu. SM Seaside City Cebu will raise shopping standards in the Queen City of the South as home to major global brands and homegrown brands and food outlets.
Keeping with the nautilus inspired theme, the mall’s car park will be incorporated into the structure, helping to define the semi-circular volume of the building. For customer convenience, there will be a covered parking area with 4,336 slots.
SM Seaside City Cebu’s design team includes Arquitectonica, Design Architect; Gardens by Sanders, Landscape Design; W.V. Coscuella, Achitect of Record; SM EDD Mall Design, In-House Architect; Monolith Construction, General Contractor; and DA Abcede, Project Manager.